Design and Numerical Simulation using Vibration Analysis for the Detection and Reduction of Failures of the Gear Pair of the Differential System of a Powertrain
Advanced Materials Letters,
2021, Volume 12, Issue 10, Pages 1-5
AbstractIn this work, a numerical methodology is implemented applying the computational finite element method for a pair pinion-crown of bevel gears in spiral of the differential system of a compact Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV), with the objective of establishing a criterion of the results to characterize the failure of the gear pair during its operation. To do this, from a CAD model obtained by 3D scanning, the numerical results of the structural case are compared by correlating the transient, fatigue, modal and harmonic studies between a pair of gears without damage and another pair with a damaged (chipped) tooth on the pinion. It is observed that from the harmonic response of stress and vibration, a criterion can be established to differentiate the new pair of gears from the damaged pair, the latter presenting a frequency response pattern with high values with respect to the first. The above may be a reference option for detecting the failure of spiral bevel gear pairs used in automobile differential system.
Wilcox, Lowell; Gear Technology, 1985, 1, 9.
2. Vijayakar, S.M.; Houser, Donald R.; Gear Technology, 1993, 4, 26.
3. Song, Deng; Lin, Hua; Xing-hui, Han; Song, Huang; Journal of Central South University, 2013, 20, 279.
4. Bhavi, Iresh; Kuppast, Vinay; Kurbet, Shivakant; Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Application, 2017, 7, 49.
5. Bhavi, Iresh; Kurbet, Shivakant. Multi Body Dynamic analysis of Differential gear box of an Automobile, Proc. 2011, ANSYS India Users Conference, 2011.
6. Bhavi, Iresh; Kuppast, Vinay; Kurbet, Shivakant; Applied Mechanics and Materials, 2016, 852, 545.
7. Honda Motor CO., LTD. (Ed. 1); Service Manual CR-V 1997-2000; U.S.A, 1997.
8. Fletcher Building CO., LTD. (Ed. 1); Easy Steel - Special Steel Book; New Zealand, 2020.
9. Boyer, Howard E. (Ed. 1); Atlas of Fatigue Curves; ASM International, U.S.A, 1986.
- Article View: 21
- PDF Download: 9